The U.S. is making trade negotiations impossible, says China’s foreign ministry: report
Those negotiations that some hope could help avert a U.S.-China trade war? There’s no way to move them forward in the current situation, according to Beijing.
A spokesman for China’s foreign ministry said it was impossible for the U.S. and China to begin talks right now, according to a Reuters report.
Spokesman Geng Shuang also cast fresh blame on the U.S. for the trade tensions between the countries.
The comments come after a weekend of largely upbeat remarks from the White House administration, including a tweet from President Donald Trump. The U.S. leader predicted China would “take down its trade barriers, because it is the right thing to do,” and that a deal would be made on intellectual property.
President Xi and I will always be friends, no matter what happens with our dispute on trade. China will take down its Trade Barriers because it is the right thing to do. Taxes will become Reciprocal & a deal will be made on Intellectual Property. Great future for both countries!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 8, 2018
U.S. stock futures ESM8, +0.70% were rising Monday on Trump’s tweet and remarks from other officials who over the weekend played down the possibility of a trade war, fears of which sent equities plunging late last week.
The next development on the trade front could come Tuesday, when Chinese President Xi Jinping is expected to address the Boao Forum — the so-called Asia Davos . Some are hoping he will make comments about market reforms that could ease tensions between the two nations.